Immigration Law Section
Experienced immigration attorneys will present on a topic and answer questions. We encourage all of you to participate in these brown-bag luncheons. In the meantime, if you are interested in becoming a speaker for our Section meetings or are willing to be a mentor, please contact me at email@example.com.
Upcoming Section meetings:
Thursday, September 3; 12:30 p.m.
o Speaker: Becki Young
o Topic: Employer Immigration Compliance Strategies and Tips
Upcoming CLE Seminars:
Thursday, October 8; 5:30p.m.
o Immigration Law for Criminal Defense Attorneys
In this seminar, you will learn how to determine your clients’ immigration status and the category of criminal convictions that could affect them. Panel of experts will then discuss immigration consequences for common Maryland crimes, including: drug/paraphernalia possession, possession with intent to distribute marijuana, crimes of violence, theft, and DUI.
Nadine K. Wettstein, Assistant Public Defender, Maryland Office of the Public Defender, Immigration Program
Rachel Ullman, Law Office of Rachel Ullman, Immigration Law Practitioner with over 15 years of Crimimm practice
Tuesday, November 3;
Fundamentals of Immigration Law for Family Law and Juvenile Law Practitioners
- Issue spotting in domestic relations cases with foreign nationals as petitioners or respondents
In this seminar, you will learn about hot topics in marriage-based cases where one of the parties is not a United States citizen, as well as intersection of Maryland law and Federal laws in international adoptions. Presenters will also discuss immigration remedies for undocumented children in custody of social services or in family courts (adoption, SIJS, VAWA, etc.).
- Bona fides of the marital relationship as seen in immigration petitions
- Pre-nups and their implications on immigration petitions
- When my immigration client can divorce?
- Dual representation issues when marriage is troubled
- Affidavit of support and U.S. citizen spouse’s financial responsibilities
- International adoption of orphans v. non-orphans
- Tips on working with international adoption agencies
- Intersection of Maryland laws and immigration laws on adoption
- Immigration remedies available for the victims of domestic violence
- Van T. Doan, Immigration Law and Family Law Attorney, and Past Chair of MSBA Immigration Law Section
- Edward W. Neufville, III from Law Office of Edward W. Neufville
- Parva Fattahi, BAMC Immigration Section Chair
September 3, 2015
October 20, 2015
December 8, 2015*
February 4, 2016
March 3, 2016
*Joint Holiday Party with the Taxation Law Section & the Employment Law Section
Section meetings will be held at 12:30p.m. in the Upstairs Conference Room of the Bar Association building, located at 27 West Jefferson St., Rockville, MD.
October 8, 2015 --
Immigration Law for Criminal Defense Attorneys and Prosecutors
November 3, 2015 -- Fundamentals of Immigration Law for Family Law and Juvenile Practitioners